Prevent DangerousMould from Growing in your Home

When mould is left to grow, it can be dangerous. Mould refers to any fungus that grows on food or damp areas; it is usually black or white, but it can appear in a range of colours. The colour of the mould will help you determine if it is dangerous or not.

See a step by step guide on getting rid of mould.

Where mould may be growing in your home:

If you live in a humid or tropical climate you should always be on the lookout for mould creeping up. Mould tends to grow in:

  • Pipes
  • Behind wallpaper
  • Under carpets
  • Upholstery
  • Within insulation
  • Ceiling tiles
  • Wall tiles
  • Skirting
  • Showers

The danger of mould in your home:

Be on the lookout for changes in colour or texture of the mould, as this could reveal that the mould is toxigenic.

Toxigenic moulds produce spores containing mycotoxins that can be harmful to those exposed to it for extended periods of time. So if it is growing in your home you need to take care of it as soon as possible.

Though it is unlikely to affect you if you’re inhaling its micro-toxins. Symptoms that show you are being affected by mould:

  • Irritation in the eyes, nose and throat
  • Unusual coughing and a build-up of phlegm
  • Shortness of breath
  • Unexplained allergic reactions
  • May cause asthma attack for those affected by asthma.
  • Skin rashes
  • Nose bleeds

Prevention is always better than a cure. To discourage the growth of harmful moulds you can:

  • Clean your bathrooms with mould killing products.
  • Ensure good ventilation of your home or office.
  • Find the source of any leaks or areas that remain damp.

Find the right anti-bacterial surface sterilizer (in South Africa) to get rid of mould for good.